Sunday, January 27, 2013

My language is at risk for going Extinct.

Today,  I was simply surfing the net when I came across a website that was headlined, 

Google Wants to Protect 3,000 Endangered Languages.  I was amazed to find out that my language was in the list of "at risk" languages. It's sad.  In efforts to bring awareness to the matter, I turned to Social media. I shared to various groups I'm in. So far I have gained only one reponse, stating it was true and the foundation, the families, weren't teaching young children.  It is a sad truth, which isn't addressed enough among families. This is an issue that I hope to help in my own way. I plan on teaching my daughter the language through books, pictures, and summers spent on my reservation to learn about my culture. I hope I can help in my own way, while I can.




http://www.endangeredlanguages.com/lang/nav

No comments:

Post a Comment